This habit of comparing my own results to that of others, and the impatience behind it, caused me to feel bummed out quite often, as you can imagine. You probably also know well by now that when you're bummed out you don't make much music!
It was a downward spiral.
Something had to change...
One day, on a needed break from a frantic kick and bass EQ obsession session, I wondered about the difference between me and a successful producer friend I studied audio engineering with, apart from the fact that he was now a world-renowned producer.
It was then that it dawned on me. I had lost the plot. I was too focused on the results. All the joy of music production was gone for me, because I wanted a certain outcome and comparisons with other producers made this worse.
It took me a further 3 long Skype calls with a good producer friend and a lot of thought to figure it out.
I wish I could tell you that the realization I had changed everything for me. I wish I could say the change in focus was all I needed. It wasn't.
It was however a start in the right direction. My new focus on my own process allowed me to analyze my workflow and habits and adjust the way I worked.
I also started to learn new ways of working from producer friends. At the same time I finecombed the internet for any hints, tips, techniques or strategies I could find and implement to improve my workflow.
And, yes, slowly but surely, I started to finish tracks faster and more often. So, much so that I managed to finish 11 tracks in under 2 months. This was just outrageous for me at the time because it took me two weeks on average to finish a new track back then.
OK, so the tracks weren't masterpieces. What was important was that they were finished. This is what counts.
Would you like to know what made the difference for me?
I've taken all the music production workflow and creativity tips, techniques and strategies I've picked up over the years and put them in my new online course called "Studio Flow".
The aim of this course is to help you make more music, in a consistent and reliable way.
Learn to know and beat your #1 enemy.
Get the right perspective, the perspective that is conducive to productivity in the studio.
Discover tips, insights, tricks and techniques that help you find your flow and increase your output to the level where you know it could be.
Turn your music production talent into something you can rely on time and time again to deliver quality results.
Feel fantastic when you start to crush it on a regular basis!
- 1: Creativity = Life FREE TRIAL
- 2: Know Your Enemy FREE TRIAL
- Task: Get/read "The War of Art" FREE TRIAL
- 3: Beat Your Enemy FREE TRIAL
- Task: Get/read "Turning Pro" FREE TRIAL
- 4: Get Clear FREE TRIAL
- Task: Get/read "GTD" FREE TRIAL
- 5: Find Your Flow FREE TRIAL
- Task: Watch Flow Video FREE TRIAL
- 6: How to Stay Motivated in the Studio FREE TRIAL
- 7: Where Killer Tracks Come From FREE TRIAL
- 8: Producer Success Habit #1
- 9: Producer Success Habit #2
- 10: Producer Success Habit #3
- 11: Producer Success Habit #4
- 12: A Way to Maximise Speed & Efficiency
- 13: How to Keep It Fresh
- 14: One Way to Start Faster
- Example of a Start-Up Template
- 15: How To Work Faster
- 16: How To Work Even Faster
- Example of 128s
- 17: Can We Go Faster?
- 18: One Way to Keep the Flow
- 19: Avoid This Rookie Mistake
- 20: Pro Creativity Hack
- 21: Keep 'Em Seperated
- 22: Pro Productivity Hack
- 23: Progress Faster
- 24: Creativity Lays on the Other Side of This
- 25: Let It Go!
- 26: Get Meta With It
- 27: Always Remember This
- 1: Challenge Exercises
- Week 1 - Seeds
- Week 2 - Loops
- Week 3 - Arrangements
- Week 4 - Mixes
- Week 5 - Full Tracks